Wednesday, January 22, 2014

GI Joe #58

G.I. Joe (1982-1994) #58B


Having removed his son Billy from the hospital, Cobra Commander in civilian attire searches for a safe house. He finds it in Denver where a Crimson Guardsman, posing as a mechanic, is awaiting activation. With this new character comes a new costume for Cobra Commander and a new Cobra hopeful with a penchant for falconry and dressing up as a giant bird. But will any of this bring the young boy out of his coma?

This period of GI Joe is about when I started to lose interest. I hated Cobra Commander’s new suit. I never understood why he needed the change. (I do now, as CC had to ditch his original costume in order to escape from New York.) Then there’s the Cobra character dressed as a giant hawk. At the time, I thought he was pretty cool as a kid. Right now, I’m not so sure. Imagine the San Diego Chicken driving a Volvo with about 30 birds of prey in the back seat. That’s what happens in a panel of this issue. It’s pretty ridiculous. Hopefully, Larry Hama can bounce back with classic in the next issue.
My least favorite issue of the series thus far!
Rating: 6 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment