Thursday, January 16, 2014

Avengers, Volume 2: The Last White Event (Marvel NOW!)

Avengers (2012-Present) #HC Vol 2

I think it’s extremely interesting that during a time where I’ve been reading some old articles about Marvel’s New Universe line of books by the mid-80s that I happen to read this book. The Last White Event continues from Avengers World in which a mysterious entity with out-of-this world powers gains a brother of sorts. It turns out that the names of these new characters are from the New Universe. So, Marvel’s found a way to integrate the New Universe with the Marvel 616 reality. Add to the fact that the White Event is the elimination of universes and other earths; this is Marvel’s version of Crisis on Infinite Earths, but on a much larger scale.

It’s a good book with lots of action and mystery. The Avengers/ SHIELD dynamic is explored to some depth and it makes for a great mix of super heroes and espionage. The last chapter is filled with some great comedic moments, such as a trio of AIM scientists going on a bender with a pair of Avengers. Alas, the low point comes when the volume ends with yet another cliff hanger.

I liked what I read. I cannot wait for Volume 3. However, the back cover promises to tie in the events in this and volume one with what’s been going on in Secret Avengers. Unless I miss something, and I don’t think I did, I just didn’t see the connection. Maybe reading volume 2 of Secret Avengers was needed before this issue. Sadly, my library didn’t have that book- yet!

Worth Consuming.

Rating: 8 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment