Sunday, January 5, 2014

Spongebob Comics: Freestyle Funnies (FCBD 2013)



I’ve never really been much of a Spongebob Squarepants fan. My brother-in-law loves him. For a very long time, I thought the show was by the creator of Ren and Stimpy, because some of the art was similar. Yet, one I found out they weren’t ‘cousins’, I didn’t really follow it.

I chose this book as something to read on my trip to St. Louis over Christmas. I figured it would be light and funny and something to relax with after the stress of being with my in-laws. (I love my in-laws, but I don’t like large gatherings in enclosed places and my wife’s family is rather large.)

Anyway, I thought this issue was really good. We see some of “superheroes” of Bikini Bottom, most of which look like knock-offs of DC characters. Why there’s even a character that looks like Aquaman, only he’s got a purple starfish on his face and seashell’s on his pecks.

Despite this, I actually liked what I read. I took the book for what it was, a parody, and I ran with it. So much that I when I got to the end of the book and I learned that I had to buy another book to find out how it ended, I wasn’t mad. I was disappointed, sure. However, I saw previously an ad for SpongeBob Comics Annual Giant Swimtacular (2013), starring the aforementioned super heroes and thought to myself “Man, I want to read that.” Apparently, the cliffhanger only cemented my desire to get the Swimtacular.

However, I am not expecting to become a fan of Spongebob. I think I’m mostly going to enjoy it for the parody of lame superheroes that I believe the folks behind this comic were intending.

Worth Consuming.

Rating: 8 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment